Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pumpkin soup

I've got a lot going on this fall, so I am planning on moving away from specific Publix/Kroger bargain meals, and I'm just going to focus on some of the frugal meals we eat during the week. I tend to shop several stores, not just what is on sale at one store in one particular week, so this will be a more true representation of what we eat and how I shop.

If you are a Publix or Kroger bargain meal reader, I hope you'll stick around for some of my more generic frugal meals. Still the same great food, just not tied to the specials of the week!



This week, we had a true fall special, pumpkin soup. This meal was inspired by my friend Dana. Her family thinks it is great, and it's a favorite here as well.

Pumpkin Soup
3/4 pound Italian sausage (I used homemade from pork butt)--$0.63
1 can pumpkin--$0.79 (Aldi)
2 cups chicken broth--free
1 onion, diced--$0.25
1 cup heavy cream--$0.75 (Aldi)

Brown onion and sausage in soup pot. Drain if needed. Add pumpkin and broth, and stir to combine. Heat through. If the consistency is too thick, add water (you want a thick soup consistency). Add cream, adjust seasonings (salt and pepper), and heat through. If too thick, add water to desired consistency.

We served this with stuffed mushrooms (with that other 1/4 pound sausage) and salads. So good! It was a really nice fall supper.

And, total cost? 2.42! Add the salad ($1.50/head of lettuce) and mushrooms, and the total cost was under $5.

2 comments:

tammy said...

This sounds yummy!! I think we will have to try it next week.

Anonymous said...

sounds good...and great for fall weather...