Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thai Red Curry

My littlest one is a rashy little fellow. We've tried lots of stuff, but I'm at the point where I think it might be my diet. So, I'm experimenting with being mostly dairy free for now to see if that clears it up.

And nothing makes you want macaroni and cheese, cream soups, and ice cream more than avoiding dairy. Of course.

But, I'm trying to experiment with other flavors to make this easier. This was a very easy meal pulled out of Moosewood Simple Suppers. It utilizes a very handy convenience product, Thai red chili paste. Sure, I could make my own, but for now, I'm going to spend my time on other stuff.

It's just a basic stir fry. For this one, I used boneless pork loin, cut very thin (my boys called them "worms"), plus broccoli, green beans, onion, red pepper, and bok choy. When I took my last Chinese cooking class, they were talking about how, in Chinese food, you try to cut all the pieces of the dish in the same shape (in this case, long and skinny). Try it. It makes the dish very pleasing to the eye, and it really does add something to it.



Once everything is cooked, you add the sauce. Which couldn't be simpler. Red curry paste and a can of coconut milk, to taste.



Thai Red Curry
adapted from Moosewood Simple Suppers
1 lb boneless pork, sliced thin
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 T oil
2 T (to taste) Thai red chili paste
vegetables of choice--the original called for snow peas and tomatoes; I used broccoli, green beans, red pepper, and bok choy
1 14-ounce can coconut milk (I used about 3/4 of this)
1/2 t salt
2 T lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a skillet or wok on high heat, sear the meat, in two batches if necessary to not crowd the pan. Remove from the skillet.
Add the oil to the pan, and when hot, add the onions, then the other vegetables. Stir fry until crisp-tender. When the vegetables are almost done, add the curry paste and coconut milk, salt and lime juice. Bring to a simmer and add the cilantro. Taste and add salt if needed (it might). Serve hot over jasmine rice.

As usual, I'm linked to Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday. Check it out!

No comments: