Monday, February 1, 2010

Biscuits



Bread is, and always has been, my nemesis. I just can't seem to get it to work. I end up buying sandwich bread, making due with frozen biscuits, and I even buy frozen dumplings!! I'm telling you, I've had some scary experiments with bread.

But, last year, I decided that 2009 was the year of the biscuit. By george, I was going to learn to make them. My mother makes good biscuits (though it's been years since she really made one; she prefers the ease of frozen these days), and my great-grandmother made heavenly biscuits that exist only in my memory. It didn't seem right that I, a lifelong Georgia girl, couldn't make biscuits!

So, over the last year, I've spent a lot of time working on them. Thank goodness for Mike's patience! Some of the batches were okay, some were not so okay. But, I powered on. Then, last week, I attended the King Arthur flour baking demonstration, and I had an "aha!" moment. When she made pie crust, she left the butter chunks really large. As in, the size of large marbles large. No cornmeal looking flour there.

I thought it might work for biscuits, too. So, I tried it. And....sweet success!!! My first bite caused me to let out a bit of a yelp in happiness. Ah, another item crossed off the bucket list. Now on to saving the world...

3 comments:

Kim said...

Mmmmmm....now I want bread. Biscuits, scones, quick bread....most any kind. :) Thanks Bets!

tammy said...

This gluten free diet is only a bummer when I look at BISCUITS! I love them!! I guess I'll have to make it the year of learning how to bake GF biscuits. Good for you for sticking in there. Now go off and conquer the WORLD!! Don't forget to post about it.....

Breakfast in California said...

One of my favorite memories was visiting an elderly woman who made bicuits from scratch each breakfast, served with homemade pear preserves. There were never any leftovers, as she fed them to the chickens. Her fired chicken was tasty too, must have been those biscuit crumbs!