Monday, July 26, 2010

Meal Plan Monday


My new baby is almost 6 weeks old! What a whirlwind this past month has been, as we get used to him, and he gets used to us. He's such a good, sweet baby, and his presence has really enhanced our lives. I love, love, love having him around, and I think everyone should have a third baby! By this time, I can honestly tell you that I'm appreciating babyhood as very fleeting, and I am taking every opportunity I can to smell his baby smell and snuggle his baby head.


This year, we opted to spend most of our vacation fund on increasing my grocery budget. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? I'm sure that my sweet husband at first thought so, too. (I do the money, and I usually come up with schemes, then "convince" him to get on board.) The extra cushion in our food budget has been nice, to allow for some easier foods and a few nights of take-out. I think I even have enough left of the vacation fund to go camping for a couple of nights and maybe stay in a hotel one night at Christmas time. My boys are little enough that one night in a hotel is a huge treat.


In the meantime, we're doing what works for us, and that means lots of take out and freezer meals in the season of a new baby.


BUT... he's on a more predictable routine now, and the produce of summer is in full swing. I'm going to attempt to cook a little more this week. We'll see how that goes. What's the old saying... "we make plans, and God laughs"? That's the story of my life!


Friday--take out (but planned this time!) calzones
Saturday--birthday celebration--sloppy joes, chips, fruit salad, cupcakes
Sunday--chili dogs (lunch), migas (supper)
Monday--vegetable plate--fried okra, yellow squash, steamed cauliflower, cucumbers, white lady peas
Tuesday--catfish creole over rice, salad
Wednesday--chicken, swiss chard, and roasted poblanos in crema (a new recipe), as tacos
Thursday--brunswick stew (from the freezer)
As always, check out hundreds of other meal plans from orgjunkie. Sure to get you out of a supper rut!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

The vegetable plate sounds great! Are they all from your garden?

Keli said...

that old saying is the story of my life too! :)

come check out some great giveaways at my blog - www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com