Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Migas

Sunday nights are breakfast for supper nights in my house. It's ordinarily because I'm exhausted by the end of the weekend, and I need something quick and easy to make. Plus, who doesn't love breakfast for supper?

So, this week, I made migas tacos. It's a pretty starch heavy meal, but for lunch, I ate cucumbers, tomatoes, and cottage cheese, so it all evens out.

I hope.

The farmers' market (both the real one and the international market that bills itself a farmers' market) had beautiful produce this week. Eggs are always a good place to showcase some great vegetables. I had local potatoes, Vidalia onions, 3 types of peppers, local oyster mushrooms, cherry tomatoes in lots of colors, cilantro, lime, and fresh, warm tortillas.

Migas are probably best made with stale tortillas, but you make due. These were fresh tortillas, and they did fine. I cubed the tortillas and fried them in a little butter with half an onion and the 3 chiles.
Then, I added the cherry tomatoes and oyster mushrooms. I probably should have halved the tomatoes, but they worked out fine.
Then, I added scrambled eggs to the pan and cooked until done.
Meanwhile, in a separate pan, I made home fries with onions and potatoes. I forgot the pictures, but use your imagination.
Heated some corn tortillas.
Until they all looked like this.
We ate this as tacos, with the potatoes, egg mixture, then topped with cilantro, diced onion, a squeeze of lime, and hot sauce.
This is a great, easy, fast meal that we all love.

As an aside, Mike takes leftovers every day for lunch. Eggs don't work so well, so for his leftovers, I made extra home fries that I combined with some browned sausage from the freezer. I sent some corn tortillas on the side. He'll eat those as potato tacos, with hot sauce.
Enjoy your migas!
I'm linking this week to Tasty Tuesday over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. So many good ideas! Join us over there to showcase some of your own.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

I've never heard of these, but I am a convert already. These sound great.