Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chicken and rice



This recipe sounded so simple. So boring, honestly. I knew my kids would like it, because they love beans and rice. And, it was easy, so that was good for a fast supper. But, that's all I expected. I took no pictures, cause I didn't think it would be blog-worthy, honestly. And, yet. When it was made, it was excellent! Really, really tasty. Definitely a repeater. And, with the big bonuses that it's insanely easy, and my kids love it. What could be better?

Chicken and Rice
adapted from Rick Bayless's Mexican Everyday

2 cups cooked chicken or turkey (I used turkey)
salt
2 1/2 T ground ancho chile powder, divided
1 onion, diced
1 cup rice
4 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cupes chicken broth
1 3/4 cups cooked black beans
1/4 cup chopped scallions
salsa for serving

Heat the chicken in a deep skillet in about 1 T oil. Sprinkle with salt, then add 1 T of the ancho chile powder. Remove from the pan. Add the onion and rice to the pot. Stir for several minutes, until the rice turns almost white. Add the garlic, remaining 1.5 T ancho chile powder, and cook 1 minute. Add the broth, and about 1 t salt (to taste--less if your broth is salty). Stir well. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Uncover the pot, add the chicken/turkey and beans and cook for 12 minutes longer.
Uncover, sprinkle on the green onions. Recover the pot and let stand off the head for 5 to 10 minutes to finish cooking in the trapped steam (this is an important step, and it really makes for nice rice).
Fluff the rice, and serve with salsa.

Today, I'm linked to Tasty Tuesday over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. Jen is one of my favorite bloggers, and I love all the great ideas that come out of Tasty Tuesday. Check it out!

3 comments:

4kids1mom said...

Looks and sounds delicious! Who doesn't love a easy yummy recipe! I'll write the recipe down and try to fit it in - maybe with enchiladas on the side. My kids are big eaters - so I'm not sure a mainly rice meal would fill them up. ☺ ~Denise~

Traci Michele said...

stopping by to follow you!

I love Mexican. looks great! stopping by from B&B... I'd love for you to stop by Ordinary Inspirations and follow :-)

Love,
Traci

Pamela said...

Yum...I have a bunch of chicken that I just pulled off of a roasting chicken. Will be great in this dish, next week...thanks!