Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chicken and sausage etouffee

I love cajun and creole flavors. So cozy, so warming, so good. This is a great one to make for a night when you need a meal in a hurry that tastes like it took all day to make.

It starts with a roux, of course. This is a fairly light colored roux. Just this side of peanut butter colored, I'd say. I make my roux with White Lily flour and canola oil. I just think it tastes better that way.
Once the roux is done, add all the good stuff. Onions and andouille.
Celery with the leaves.
And peppers. I usually use bell peppers, but this time, I had a poblano. That works, too.
Mix all that up, let it cook for a while, then add cooked chicken to the pot. I also added a jar of tomatoes, cause I add tomatoes to everything. I prefer home-canned to this or whole tomatoes, crushed yourself, because they don't stay in pieces like commercially canned diced tomatoes do. They sort of melt into the sauce. Simmer until everything is warm and the flavors have melded, about 20 minutes or so.
Just enough time for a pot of rice to cook. Enjoy!


Chicken and sausage etouffee

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 lb andouille, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands
hot cooked rice for serving

First you make a roux. Mix the oil and flour together, whisking continually, and cook until it is almost peanut butter colored. Add the andouille, celery, onions, and pepper, and cook until vegetables are tender and sausage is browned on the edges. Add the chicken and tomatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

LisaBW said...

Yum, looks great, Betsy!