Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Salsa Chicken




This meal didn't start out to become this. But, as I realized that I was out of this and that and the other, it morphed into something delicious. Inspired (a little) by my brother's beloved salsa chicken (recipe: Pace+chicken+oven), this turned into an easy, stove top meal that everyone liked.



What's not to love? Tomatoes, black beans, and corn, all cooked with chicken cutlets. I served this pasta alongside, but it'd be great with rice, rolled into a tortilla, or served over some greens (we've got greens going gang-busters right now, so I have greens on the brain). Whatever you choose, it's a great keeper of a recipe. Try it soon!





Black Bean Salsa Chicken
2 cups black beans
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn (fresh is better, but do what you have to do)
1 onion, diced
1-3 jalapenos, diced, seeded if desired
2 cloves garlic
cilantro to taste (I use about 1/2 a bunch)
1-14 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 tsp cumin
chicken cutlets (I use boneless skinless breasts, cut into thirds with a sharp knife and a steady hand), however many you need to feed the family
oil for sauteing (I'm a canola kind of girl)

Heat oil in a deep skillet until shimmering. Add cutlets, season with salt and pepper, and pan-fry until almost done, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan to a plate and keep warm.

Add onion and jalapeno to skillet and allow to cook briefly. Add garlic, beans, corn, tomatoes, and cilantro, and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt (if needed) and pepper. Add cumin. Slide cutlets back into mixture and allow to heat through. Enjoy!

I'm linked to Tasty Tuesday over at Beauty and Bedlam. Every week, great ideas, lots of inspiration, plus pretty pictures. What could be better?