Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Date night kabobs

I frequently shop at a big international market here in Atlanta. It's huge, full of beautiful meat and produce, and it's an adventure every time we go. On the plus side, we also are one of the few non-international families that shop there, so we are memorable. At least that's what I like to think. I hate to think they remember us because we are loud, and my 3 year old frequently likes to munch on a cucumber throughout the store, asking questions about everything and everyone that he encounters. I like to put that part out of my head.

So, this week, Muhammed the butcher (at the halal butcher counter, of course) recommended that we try the lamb kabobs. Y'all. So good. They were spicy (but not hot), tender, and so flavorful. A really nice way to have lamb.

During pregnancy, I try to make sure that I eat potassium rich food almost every day. Orange juice is one of those foods. I don't really like it, but I do my part for a healthy baby. This was a cocktail made of orange juice, seltzer, and a marischino cherry. Better than orange juice straight, but you know, o.j is always going to be o.j.



For this meal, I splurged on almost in-season, but not quite, still way to expensive, and not that great, tomatoes. Luckily, the Tomato King is on the ball this year, and we have several tiny green tomatoes on our plants. I think he's aiming for my birthday to present me with the first one.



Those lovely kabobs.



And, we also grilled asparagus and scallions to go alongside.



Another great meal shared with my favorite guy. Thanks for the tip, Muhammed!

No comments: