Friday, May 14, 2010

Spring garden season

Oh, I've missed my blog! I have a beautiful, fast, exciting new laptop, and I'm so glad that I'm able to get back to blogging!

I love the beginning of garden season. It's so exciting to see things start coming up and to start planning meals by the seat of my pants. I jokingly call my mom's garden my personal CSA....but it's not so much a joke as it is reality. She is very generous with her garden, and every time I see her, I come home with something exciting. She loves to grow things (as does my husband), and I love to cook them, so it works out very well for us.

This week, she had an abundance of dill (which is beautiful just in a vase as a flower), plus it was time to thin the baby beets. I got a huge colander full of baby beet greens (which cook down to nothing, but taste oh so good), as well as the dill.

I can't wait to see what will be growing the next time I get over there!



I was inspired by this recipe, and I added a little to make it mine. I was out of shallots, so I used green onions. Out of wine (the horrors!), so I just omitted it. And, I used about 1/4 cup of chopped dill. But, other than that, it's exactly as written.

To serve, I mixed the beet greens (quick sauteed in olive oil with garlic and chili flakes) with spaghetti noodles, then topped with the halibut and the dill piccata sauce.

This turned out so well! We loved it. It's definitely a repeater.

No comments: