Monday, September 14, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal September 13


Bargain Meal of the Week



This week's Kroger meal is an old family favorite, chicken tettrazini. It's right at the top of my list for favorite casseroles. I made and froze a couple of these for after my second baby was born. I think that they were the best hit of all my make ahead meals. My husband and I have been known to lick the pan! We really love it that much.

Chicken Tettrazini
4 tablespoons butter, divided--$0.12
5-6 tablespoons flour--$0.10
1 cup milk--on sale $1.99/gallon--$0.06
1/2 cup white wine--you know me and my $3 wine--$0.30
1/2 cup chicken stock--free
2 cups chopped cooked chicken--on sale $0.99/lb--$1
12 ounces thin spaghetti, cooked--$1
1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms--on sale--$1
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese--$1.25

Instructions
Saute the mushrooms in the butter, then add flour to make a roux (add more butter if necessary). Add the wine, milk, and stock to make the sauce. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Add the parm cheese, stirring to melt. Add cooked chicken and spaghetti to the sauce/mushroom mixture, and mix well.

Pour into a greased casserole dish and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, until bubbly. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight; bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Total cost for this casserole--$4.83

Serve it with roasted tomato halves--on sale $1 for 3 tomatoes--$1
Making your total cost--$5.83. Enjoy!

And, as always, for more bargain meals, check out $5dinners.com

No comments: