Saturday, March 27, 2010

In season burritos


We used to live in a great, trendy, hip sort of town. Ah, it was great.

Too bad there are no jobs there.

But I digress.

The town had an awesome little trendy, "farm to table" type restaurant that had an interesting twist on the food. Everything was cooked with a Latin and/or Caribbean feel. We always left wanting more, more, more of their food.

So, these days, we live in an area populated with many, many Latin restaurants. I could eat authentic Columbian, Peruvian, Salvadorian, or Mexican food any day of the week. And, while I love those places, it's not quite the same as Salsas. Since I was craving the food last week, I had to make it myself.

The burritos turned out very well. Enjoy!

*as a disclaimer* This recipe fed both my husband and me. My boys ate cheese quesadillas this night. I think one tasted his collards, both snubbed the potatoes (as usual), and neither ate the chicken (also as usual). More for us!

Potato, collard, and chicken burritos
1 chicken breast, roasted, meat removed from bone and shredded
1 potato, cubed and roasted (400 for 45 minutes until brown and crispy)
1 lb collards, washed and cut into strips (or buy the prepackaged ones)
4 cloves garlic
1 T oil
red pepper flakes
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 lime
1/2 onion, chopped
4 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
flour tortillas (this made 5 burritos for us)

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed skillet. Add garlic cloves and red pepper flakes to taste and allow to brown slightly (30 seconds). Add collards and stir to coat in oil. Once collards are all coated, add about 1/2 cup of water, and cover skillet to cook greens through. Cook collards to desired doneness. (We like about 15 minutes) Heat tortillas in cast iron skillet until warm. Build burritos with collards, potatoes, shredded chicken, jalapeno, juice of lime, onions, cheese, and cilantro to taste. Serve with hot sauce (we like Valentina). Enjoy!

2 comments:

tammy said...

That just looks so YUM!! :) I have never cooked collards... Perhaps I will try soon.

Pamela said...

I agree...YUM!!!