Friday, July 29, 2011

Mexican Restaurant Date Night



A few years ago, my MOPS group had a "favorite things" gathering, where we all stood up and declared our favorite (relatively cheap) splurge. Mine was the beloved Mexican Coke. I still have a friend that teases me about it, but I just have to think that she has never tried my lovely. They are soo good! These are imported from Mexico, where they still use cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. totally worth seeking out. Delicious!


We enjoyed our cokes (let's face it; they were the most important part of the meal!) with another restaurant favorite, shrimp and octopus coktel.

And we ended our restaurant meal with a great dessert--berries and cream. This is whipped coconut cream (the thick part of coconut milk). It makes a pretty decent substitute for whipped cream, and it's as close as I seem to get during these dairy free days.

This was fun, recreating a restaurant special. It allows us to have some special foods, both cheaper and easier. Because, let's face it. Sometimes, not taking little kids to a restaurant--it doesn't cause me to be sad cause I have to cook. It causes me to be thrilled that I don't have to deal with the challenge! Making my favorites at home=win/win. And sharing it with my favorite guy...that is even better!

I encourage you to find something new to cook this week. It'll breathe a bit of new life into your kitchen. And better yet, find a time to connect with the one you love. Even better than new life in your kitchen!

No comments: