Friday, April 10, 2009

Baby Food


When my first son was a baby, he balked a little at homemade baby food. Okay, he balked a LOT. A whole lot. He wasn't having any part of it. Oh, I tried. But, in the end, I hated seeing my efforts rejected time and time again. I gave up and fed him the beautifully smooth stuff in a jar. He was happy, I was happy that he was happy, and all was well.

Fast forward two years. We have a new baby around the house now. (as an aside...isn't he the cutest thing you ever saw?) This baby is a bit more laid back. A bit less likely to balk. Add to that a mama that is a little more calm and less likely to freak out if a baby rejects a new offering once or twice or ten times (as another aside...what is it about kids that really, really forces the issue of not sweating the small stuff?? I'm not sure I like this whole growing and stretching stuff **smile**).

All that added to up to.... homemade baby food! I've had a lot of fun making baby food this time. My little one has only been eating for a month, so it's still been slow going. But, so far, we've had oatmeal, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes (as my Mamama used to call them), egg yolk, carrots, spinach, applesauce, blueberries, peas, and pumpkin. As well as avocado, banana, and since this is Mike's baby, too, pieces of tortilla.



His favorite is what Will calls "super baby food." A (kinda gross, truthfully) mixture of applesauce, egg yolk, and spinach. He also loves all the orange stuff--pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, and the like. He gets to try butternut squash this week.

So, now, I get to open my freezer and see these beautiful little ice cubes in fabulous colors. Does my heart good.

Let's hope his non-pickiness sticks around for a long, long time.

1 comment:

tammy said...

Ahh, I remember those multi-colored ice cube days. :) My middle son was eating hungarian chicken all pureed by the time he was 8 months old and he loved it. Also...he developed an aversion to ultra smooth food.(I guess my efforts weren't as smooth as gerbers) So, he wouldn't eat ice cream or pudding til he was around 6 or 7!!LOL