Monday, April 27, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal April 26- May 2


Bargain Meal of the Week


Is it summer where you are? It definitely feels like late spring here. I told my husband that I could live with this weather every single day of the year. I'd miss tomatoes in July, but other than that, I think I could handle it. It's just so beautiful and warm out there. Even for someone that avoids outside a good part of the year, there is something enticing about the spring.


So, in honor of this fabulous weather, this week's Kroger sales call out for a simple, grilled supper. I like chicken breasts with the bone in. I think the flavor is better, plus you get the bones for stock. However, I have found that if you just serve the whole breast "as is", the meat doesn't go as far. I usually grill/roast/whatever, then take the meat off the bones. We find that we're satisfied with 1/2 pound of meat, which is roughly half a large chicken breast. We're big eaters, so that's not denying ourselves, either. It's what works for me.


If you remember from this post, we love a huge variety of barbecue sauces. I think that this white one (from northern Alabama) is really good. Go ahead. Click over there. You've never even heard of white sauce. I hadn't either until Mike traveled over to Big Bob Gibson's Barbecue in north Alabama on business. Now, even my mayo-hating husband likes it. Go figure.


Grilled chicken breasts--on sale $0.99/lb--$1.99
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise (Duke's of course)--$3.29/quart--$1.02
1/4 cup horseradish--$0.25
3 tablespoons cider vinegar--$0.20
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt


Serve with:
Corn on the cob--on sale 3/$1--$1.33
Cucumbers--on sale $0.49--$0.98

Total Cost--$5.77



1 comment:

tammy said...

Oh, the sauce looks yum. I bookmarked it. We grill alot and this will just be perfect with something. For some reason our weather decided to jump headfirst into mid July. Bleck! Relief is on it's way though....