Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eating from the pantry

A couple of weeks ago, I read a blog that had a passing mention of curried fruit. And, man, that sounded gooooood. I grew up with the dish, and I hadn't had it in years. Literally years. It's not a big fancy Indian curry. No, this is good south Georgia curry. Mild and tasty. Similar to the curry found in chicken salad or country captain. It was usually a side dish to ham or poultry. Sometimes, my mom would take it to covered dish.

And, then, yesterday, I spent the day with my wonderful mom, and she mentioned that she had made curried fruit recently. But, she took it up a notch. She served it as dessert, with ice cream! That did it. I had to have it. Absolutely, no questions about it.

So, I dived into the pantry to see what I could find.

The freezer held this ice cream that was missing just a small amount. I don't even think I want to know how that happened, but I was happy to see it.



I was able to unearth a can of peaches and a can of crushed pineapple. That would do.



Delicious!!


Hot Curried Fruit
adapted from First Baptist and Friends Sharing our Best, Dawson, GA

Canned fruit (I used 2 cans, but you can use up to 4 or 5, including pears, apricots, cherries, peaches, pineapple, etc)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp curry powder (nothing fancy here...just grocery store McCormick is best)

Melt butter in glass dish in the oven at 350. When melted, stir in sugar and curry powder until well mixed. Add fruit, well drained, and mix. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is some good eating right there......and I am honored....