Monday, July 13, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal July 12-18


Bargain Meal of the Week



Ever have a Monday? A Monday that makes you think that it's been going on for 2 or 3 or 10 days? That kind of Monday?

As I write this, my husband is sitting at the mechanic's shop with not one, but BOTH of our cars. The radiator hose busted on his car yesterday while I was driving it. That was not fun. But, I was able to limp his car home, and a loverly tow truck came and got it this morning (cause not only did the hose bust, but the entire assembly that attaches the hose to the actual radiator).

So, my dear, sweet, beloved husband drove my car to work today. He takes his lunch everyday, but today, he forgot it. It's the second time he's forgotten his lunch in the last year. Yep, definitely a Monday. He had to run out for lunch, and when he did, he let the window down to go through a drive through. And, it wouldn't go back up. It's supposed to rain tonight. Yep, definitely a Monday.

So, he drove over to our buddy Nilton's place, and Nilton is going to try to fix at least one of our cars quickly. I'm praying for God to give Nilton speedy fingers and amazing car fixing wisdom.

All that to say.... sometimes blogging can be a nice diversion from, well, Monday. So, I am going to think of a great meal of the week, and I'm not going to think about cars one little bit.

This week Kroger has cheese on sale. English muffins, too. So, the best meal to make is mini pizzas, of course! My children love these, and truth be told, my husband and I do, too. They are an easy weekend meal for us, and if there are leftovers, they pack well in a lunch box. I make mini pizzas very, very simply. Half an English muffin, topped with tomato paste, sprinkled with seasoning (instead of seasoning the paste/sauce all at once), then topped with cheese and whatever else you like. I prefer hamburger, onions, and bell pepper.

Usually, a recipe for 4 feeds us supper, and we eat leftovers for lunch the next day. We love these, so even with 2 little tiny people with tiny appetites, we can put away all 12 in one meal. So make more than you think you need.

English muffins--on sale--$1
Tomato paste--$0.50
Italian seasoning
Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
Cheese--on sale--$1.49
Onions--on sale $0.79/lb--$0.40
Ground beef--on sale $1.79/lb--$0.90
Bell pepper--use half--$0.25

Total cost--$4.54

Erin at 5dollardinners has lots of meals for right around $5. Check them out for more ideas!

No comments: