Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cioppino Date night

Last week, I went to one of my beloved $5 cooking classes (this month, the price goes up to $10, but it's still a bargain for 2 hours of fun, plus supper). The recipe? Cioppino, which was an Italian American invention in San Francisco. I love, love, love seafood and would never tire of it, as does Mike, so I knew that I had to try it out. The holiday weekend seemed like the time.

We started our evening with a drink called The Bee's Knees. (sometimes I pick drinks just cause of the name). Basically a not-so-sweet lemonade, made with honey. It was really light and refreshing. Which is good. Because it's fall here, but that means that the temperature hovers around 89, and the humidity is only about 60%. Refreshing is good.

This is the cioppino. It had mussells, clams, shrimp, and fish, all steamed in white wine. Then, all that goodness was mixed with a tomato sauce that had some allspice and cinnamon in it. Sounds weird, but it works. Oh, how it works. This stuff was delightful. I could have bathed in it.


We ate this with sourdough bread (the San Francisco thing) for sopping up the sauce.

Oh, cooking classes...you did me right this time! I can't wait to learn something new.

No comments: