Friday, May 22, 2009

Our garden

Long ago, in a world without babies and blogs, I used to scrapbook. They were so fun to put together, and I really enjoyed losing myself in the process. My husband's favorite page to this day remains one that dubbed him "The Tomato King." He fancies himself some sort of gentleman farmer, and he loves getting his hands dirty out there.

Thank goodness.

Cause I, like any self-respecting Southerner, love some home-grown tomatoes. Only two things that money can't buy....that's true love and home-grown tomatoes. So, every summer, I need those tomatoes. Only problem? I'm not big on the yard/garden/outside. I know, I know. It's the sweat, though. I just hate it. My mama has the most beautiful garden you'll ever see. Me? I'm happy to be like my Mamama and my Nana, who both married well. Just like those grandmas of mine, I get to just point and tell my husband where to put the plants.

Now that is true love.


This year, we have 6 of these small gardens (one isn't pictured). He's got all sorts of stuff planted for me. Onions, carrots, radishes, lettuce, bok choy, squash, zuchinni, cucumbers. And, I know that he has okra and more cucumbers to plant this weekend. Eight tomato plants in the bed not pictured, too.
And, we have the equivalent of 3 of those boxes on the side of the house. It's hard to see, but there are 24 tomato plants in this bed (yep, that makes 32). Everything from chocolate cherry tomatoes to Cherokee Purple to Better Boy. And a bit of basil, too.
The Tomato King has been busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this gardening is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
no wonder Will is so excited about it..Mike inspires me to plan a little better and this year my garden proves it...go Tomato King go..