Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Publix Bargain Meal May 14-20


Bargain Meal of the Week

I can always tell when I start feeling better after a sickness because I start wanting to get in the kitchen. Cookbooks are my fall-back after I've read all the library books and magazines in the house. I think I'm on my third one this week. I feel really good, but my mother-in-law is here to make sure that I don't overdo. My husband also did all the grocery shopping this week. We are out of trash bags, but we do have the largest packages of cheese you can imagine in the fridge. I'd love to be in his brain when he decides what is worth buying.

I'm glad for all the help, from my mom keeping my boys while I was in the hospital, to my husband doing the grocery shopping, even for my mother-in-law coming in and entertaining my toddler so I could rest this week. But, I'm sure you understand. It's time for me to get back to normal! I need to grocery shop. To wash diapers. To scrub toilets. The glamorous parts of my life, of course.

This week, Publix doesn't have any rocking meat sales. Italian sausage is $2.99/pound, which is probably the best deal in the flyer. To stretch meat, sometimes I add it to bean based dishes. We love beans. Really. They are so good, and they are one of the few foods that all 4 of us love, from Daddy on down to the 9 month old baby. So, for this week, this soup looks really good.

1 pkg. (5 links) turkey Italian sausage--on sale $2.99/lb--use 1/2 lb--$1.50
1 medium onion, chopped--on sale 5 lb/$2.99--$0.20
2 tsp. olive oil--$0.10
1 tsp. dried oregano--pennies
2 tsp. ground fennel--pennies (and those who know me well know that this is the one flavor I don't like, so I'll leave it out)
1 T minced garlic--pennies
1 cup slow roasted tomatoes, finely chopped--on sale $0.99/lb--$0.99
1 can diced tomatoes with juice--approx $1
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) mashed slightly--use dried, cooked--$.30
1/2 cup brown lentils--$0.30
4 cups chicken stock--free
4 cups water (or partly tomato liquid if using canned tomatoes)--free
2-3 T fresh chopped basil--omit or use your garden produce! Man, I love summer.
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional, for serving soup)--$0.50

Soup cost $4.89/6 servings or $3.26/4 servings

Serve with:
corn on the cob--on sale 8/$2--$1
watermelon--on sale $0.49/lb--$1

Total cost--$5.26

As always, check out bargain meal of the week over at $5 dinners for more inspiration. Your family's new favorite meal may be only a click away!

No comments: