Thursday, June 11, 2009

Publix Bargain Meal June 11-17


Bargain Meal of the Week
This week's Publix bargain meal is a classic, Chicken Divan. There are many, many variations of this recipe out there. Lots of them use cream soups. That type is okay, but the absolute best recipe comes from The Ultimate Southern Living cookbook. I love it so much that occasionally, I make the sauce to serve on broccoli, without making it into the whole casserole. It's good.


Do you have cookbooks that have specific memories attached? I got this one for Christmas the first year we were married. At the time, I was working a professional job, eating out a couple of nights a week on pharmaceutical reps' dimes, and while I loved to cook, I didn't do it that often. Fast forward a very short 6 months. I had a husband in grad school, I was working nights as a nurse, and I suddenly had a smaller food budget and more time on my hands. It was great. We were also living in a place that felt like Eden--the farmers' markets were amazing. The produce flowed. There were new vegetables to explore all around me.


So, I started cooking.

And, this cookbook became my friend. I have cooked many, many recipes from it. It is my go-to cookbook for anything that I don't want to call my mom about. Does potato salad usually have onions? When I can't remember, Southern Living comes to the rescue. How do you make pie crust again? My friend helps me out. And on and on. If you don't have a classic cookbook that makes you smile, this is a good one to get. And, since it's not new and shiny these days, this cookbook is ususally bargain priced.

Chicken Divan

4 bone in chicken breast halves--substitute whole chicken (cook and use 2 cups)--on sale $0.99/lb--$2
1 large sprig rosemary
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 T butter--$0.15
1/4 cup flour--$0.05
1 cup milk--on sale $2.25/gal--$0.14
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten--$0.09
8 ounces sour cream--substitute yogurt--on sale $2.19/32 oz--$0.55
1/2 cup mayonnaise--$0.41
1/2 t grated lemon rind
1 1/2 T lemon juice--$0.33
1/2 t salt
3/4 t curry powder
2 (10 oz) packages frozen broccoli spears, thawed--use fresh--on sale--$1.67
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese--$0.50

Combine first 4 ingredients. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth, reserving 1/2 cup broth. Let chicken cool; bone and chop chicken. Set aside.

Melt butter over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add reserved 1/2 cup chicken broth and milk; cook over medium meat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.

Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into beaten egg yolk; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add sour cream and next 5 ingredients, stirring well.

Layer half each of broccoli, chopped chicken, and sauce in a lightly greased casserole. Repeat layers; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.

We like this served with rice (though I like everything served with rice!)
1 cup rice--$0.30

Total cost for this meal--$6.19 (for 6 servings) or $4.12 (for 4 servings)

No comments: