Monday, June 8, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal May 7-13


Bargain Meal of the Week



Summer is in full force here. I love the long days, and I really love seeing our garden grow. This year, we have a new pop-up, and we're getting ready to take it out, hopefully next weekend (my husband likes everything just so before we head out on a new adventure--he hasn't embraced the fact that two littles make it darn near impossible to have everything just so). In my preparations, I'm trying to figure out some new camping recipes to try. The key for me is a minimum of ingredients, something that can be cooked on the grill (so my husband does it), and it has to taste good. This recipe for soy-marinated chicken looks like it'll fit the bill. It's from Cooking Light, and I generally have good luck with their recipes.

3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce--$0.25
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil--$0.20
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme--free!
4 chicken leg quarters--on sale $0.59/lb--$2.06 (average weight 14 ounces each)
2 garlic cloves, minced--$0.20


Serve with:

buttered pasta--on sale $0.88/lb--$0.44--and canned pineapple--on sale--$0.88

Total cost of this meal--$4.03

As always, there are many, many, many more ideas at $5 dinners' Bargain Meal of the week.

No comments: