Thursday, July 9, 2009

Publix Bargain Meal July 9-15


Bargain Meal of the Week


I think everyone has their own repertoire of budget meals. One of my husband's coworkers eats Ramen once a week. They aren't college students. And, our fallback is and always has been breakfast for supper. Like I've said before, I usually make breakfast for supper on Sunday nights. Even though I love to cook, and I love to feed my family, by Sunday night, I am over cooking. Way over it. And, before I wised up and accepted this, we ate a lot of, well, Ramen on Sunday nights. Breakfast is just as easy, but tastier.

So, this week's Publix meal is breakfast for supper. French toast with blueberry syrup. French toast also freezes very well. I make it on an electric griddle (still going strong from my childhood--and we trash picked it way back then!), so it's no big deal to make up the whole loaf. That way we have weekday breakfasts in the freezer. I'm not a very good morning person. Trust me on that one.

Bread--on sale $1.75/loaf--$1.75
Milk--on sale $2.25/gallon--use 3 cups--$0.42
Eggs (3)--$0.30
Blueberries--on sale $1.67/pint
1/3 cup sugar--$0.20

Total cost--$4.34

As an aside, this is the way the meal would work best for us. If you have different preferences, you could always use maple syrup or homemade sugar syrup instead of the blueberries and add sausages (on sale for $1.25) to still bring you in under $5. My children aren't huge meat eaters, so I tend to spend my money on fruits and vegetables instead.

For more bargain meals based on supermarket flyers, check out $5 dinners' bargain meal of the week!

No comments: