Monday, August 31, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal August 30


This week's Kroger meal is a new recipe that we tried last week. I was reading my Everyday Food (a wonderful little magazine that I--gasp--paid full price for), and this one jumped out at me. This meal is very, very simple. I was unsure about it, right until I took the first bite. It was so very good. The flavors really, really work. So, I know, I know... But give it a chance. It's definitely worth a try.


Thai Beef with Basil and Peppers
Everyday Food, September 2009

1 can coconut milk--$1
1 1/4 cups jasmine rice (I just used regular)--$0.25
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp coarse salt
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp fish sauce (my bottle is old, and it lasts forever)--~$0.20
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce--maybe $0.20
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp canola oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped--$0.05
3 long hot peppers, seeded and sliced into matchsticks--$0.20
1 pound ground beef--on sale $1.79/lb--$1.79
1 cup loosely packed basil, torn or sliced--garden!!
lime wedges for serving--$0.25

In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, water, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.

When rice is almost done, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl; set aside. Heat a cast-iron skillet or wok over high heat. Add oil and heat until shimmering; add garlic and half the chiles. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds. Add beef and cook, breaking up meat until completely browned, about 4 minutes. Add soy mixture and cook 30 seconds. Add basil and remaining chiles and stir to combine. Serve beef over coconut rice with lime wedges on the side.

Total cost for this meal--$3.94


I also served ours with a stir-fry of zucchini, scallions, and eggplant. I shop at an Asian market for most of my vegetables, so the prices are from there.

1 zucchini--$0.50
2 Asian eggplant--$0.79/lb--$0.75
1 bunch of scallions--$0.20

Total cost of this meal plus veggies--$5.39


For more bargain meals, check out $5Dinners gathering of bloggers with the specials from their local stores!



Bargain Meal of the Week

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. BTW, why don't you change design :).