Monday, August 31, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

The tomatoes in our garden have slowed a bit, but they are still coming in pretty heavily. Today (Monday) marks day 40 of eating tomatoes every single day. And, we're not talking a slice on a hamburger! Tomatoes have been a huge part of at least one meal every day of the last 40. It's a fabulous time of year to live here!! We have a few straggly cucumbers coming in, a little bit of okra here and there, and the chard is loving our cooler weather. My husband has planted lots of goodies for the fall, so I'm looking forward to turnips and mustard, plus a couple of new varieties of lettuce. Bring on the greens!

I'm having trouble fitting in all the food that I want to cook... So many possibilities and so little time. It really is a fun time of year. When people ask me my favorite time of year, I always answer "harvest time." It's that elusive, no-name time between summer and fall, when the tomatoes are bountiful, and the days start getting shorter. It's a great time. I just wish people didn't look at me like I had three heads. Good opportunity to edjimicate them, I suppose.



Friday: take-out!! a spur of the moment suggestion, made possible by a little bit of lingering birthday money; it was fabulous and well worth it!!

Saturday: out (lunch), nachos with homemade pico de gallo(supper)

Sunday: tomato sandwiches (lunch), carbonara, tomato caprese salad (supper)

Monday: roasted chicken, tomato tart, cucumbers in vinegar, fried okra, cabbage

Tuesday: eggplant parmesan, spaghetti, tomato salad, cupcakes (birthday dinner for my oldest)

Wednesday: tomatillo chicken stew, rice, tomato salad

Thursday: frittata with chard, biscuits, spaghetti squash with roasted cherry tomatoes

As always, check out orgjunkie for hundreds of other menu plans to puruse!

No comments: