Thursday, August 20, 2009

Old South Date Night

Last week's Netflix pick was a documentary on Stonewall Jackson. Fascinating stuff, and now I'm all keen on naming my next baby Jackson.... But I digress.

Because I knew that we were going to watch the documentary (the nerd part of us adores some documentaries) that night, I wanted to make our menu match the movie. What better than an old south theme?

Saturday's farmers' market had beautiful blackberries. One of the HUGE benefits of our own garden this year has been being able to splurge on some really great farmers' market stuff. I used to spend $30/week just at the farmers' market on the produce we ate all week. This year, I'm spending $15, and most weeks, it includes a decadent and over the top treat, like these blackberries. I'm enjoying it very much.

I made blackberry limeade this week. I just muddled blackberries in the bottom of the glass, then made the limeade right in the glass.

I also made our favorite salad. This is inspired by a Frank Stitt recipe (or maybe a special from his restaurant--I can't remember now). It is my favorite salad of the entire summer. Fresh purple hull peas, corn, onions, and a jalapeno, all mixed in a slightly sweet vinagrette, then served over a sliced heirloom tomato. Heavenly.

For 5 years of my childhood, I grew up on the coast of Georgia. It imprinted a lot of low country flavors on my palate. This is one of those memories. We love creole, and it's very easy to make. Saturday night's was catfish creole, made with fresh tomatoes. Similar to this recipe.

And, for dessert... More of those beautiful blackberries!

It was a beautiful night. The weather around here is starting to have (very small) glimpses of fall, and by the time the boys were in bed, it had cooled down to a very lovely 80 or so. We were able to sit outside and enjoy the night.

Can't wait for next week.

1 comment:

LisaBW said...

That looks delicious!