Sunday, February 22, 2009

The best Chinese food ever

My in laws were here this weekend. And, this time of year, it's always a quandary as to how to entertain them. It's a little cool for sitting on a bench at the park, and I didn't expect them to chase little boys to help warm up. No one in the family is a huge shopper. We don't have season passes to the zoo or the like, and with itty-bitty kids, paying full admission price is one of those decisions that leaves you a bit resentful on how much you have to pay for ten minutes of fun. Not a good choice, either.

We ended up walking around Your Dekalb Farmers' Market. This place is always a great choice, for anyone in town. If you come to visit me--please remind me to take you! It's the most wonderful place. Full of cool produce and interesting spices. People from every corner of the globe. Vegetables you've never heard of. Bread baked that morning. The most wonderful cafeteria line you'll ever stand in (and thanks to my Mimi, I am a cafeteria connoisseur). But, this one is the best. Hands down.

My father in law was incredibly generous, and he bought us enough shrimp to have supper that night, plus enough for a future date night. Thank you PawPaw!!

After Your Dekalb Farmers' Market, we needed lunch. So, I remembered that the blissful glutton had mentioned a new Chinese place. We headed up Buford Highway in search of some food. My in-laws lived in Chamblee in the 60s, back when it was suburbs. Ha ha ha. That strikes me as hilariously funny. Kinda like Doraville being a touch of country in the city. But, they liked being able to identify some long ago places and tell us about shopping at Plaza Fiesta before it was plaza fiesta. I always like hearing about Atlanta in the 60s. Things change so fast around here. I like imagining what we'll be telling our kids about Buford Highway way back in the early 2000s.

Back to the food.




Y'all. Y'all.

It might not look like much, but this was good stuff. Just ask my big boy.




I forgot to get pictures of the plates all fresh and steaming, but just use your imagination. We got eggplant, beef, lamb kabobs, and some sort of bok choy/mushroom in this fabulous light sauce.

Yum.

To mix up a little bit of Georgia with a little bit of delicious kabob...

This Chinese food is so good it'll make you wanna slap yo' mama.



We talked to the owner. She says that this is what real Chinese food tastes like. I don't care if it's real or not. Just that it was good. Really good.

If I don't answer my emails, it's because I'm dreaming of dry fried eggplant.

No comments: