Monday, May 18, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal May 17-23


Bargain Meal of the Week


I like stretching my brain every week to think of both the Kroger bargain meal and the Publix bargain meal. The more weeks I come up with meals, though, the more I realize that I really depend on having lots of different places to shop. On a regular basis, I hit those two stores, one other local store, and 3 international markets (they cater to different nationalities). I also sometimes go to Aldi's, a local farmers' market, and we have our own garden. I think that if I had less choices, my grocery bills would definitely be higher. So, for those of y'all with limited choices, my hat is off to you! Y'all rock!


This week, Kroger has hot dogs on sale. And, y'all. It's an embarrassing fact, but I do like a good hot dog now and again. Totally goes against any cool foodie-ness, but sometimes.... And, seeing how it's Memorial Day and all, you have a great excuse to fire up the grill.

Hot dogs--on sale 5/$5--$1
Buns--on sale--$1
Vidalia onions--on sale $0.79/lb--$0.40
Serve with black bean and corn salad
Corn--on sale 3/$1--$1
Black beans--use 3/4 pound dried (you're going for a 3 to 1 ratio of beans to corn)--$0.75
Onion--on sale--$0.40
Cilantro--$0.50
Jalapeno--$0.20
Vinagrette--I make it with oil, vinegar, cumin, and lime juice--$0.50
Total cost for this meal--$5.75


Because the bean salad is pretty filling, you might get away with serving only one hot dog per person. If so, you'll have leftover buns. And, this is the perfect recipe for them.

6 onion rolls--use whatever leftover bread you have--free
1 cup grated cheddar cheese--on sale $1.79/8 ounces--$0.90
1 1/2 sticks butter--on sale $2/lb--$0.75
1 8 ounce package cream cheese--on sale $1--$1
10 eggs--on sale $1/dozen--$0.83
2 cups milk--on sale $1.99/gal--$0.25
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped chives--surely you've got some started, right??--free


So, using leftover bread/buns/what-have-you, the total cost--$3.73 (and it's enough to serve more than 4, so perfect for company or covered dish)


There you go! Two meals in one week. For even more, check out bargain meal of the week over at $5 dinners. You will be happy you did.

No comments: