Monday, June 29, 2009

Meal Plan



I love this time of year! I opened my mom's fridge this week to find an entire shelf full of green beans. That's a lot of green beans! I have more basil that I could have imagined, and I'm so proud because this is the first year I've grown it from seed. I feel like a mama with a new baby.

We didn't quite get our lettuce eaten last week, so there is a little bit more of that to eat this week. And, my turnips are big enough, so I'm going to pull the last 6 beauties, and we'll have those this week.

For the last several years, I've been a regular at our weekly farmers' market. This year, I'm finding that I just don't need to buy quite as much. I go, look around, and think, well, we have that at home. And that. And that. It's quite a thrill to know that we really are eating our of our backyard, in a significant way. Like our own CSA. That's really fun.

And, my husband thinks that we might have a ripe tomato by the weekend. It's just a grape tomato, but any red is worthy of celebrating! I can't wait.

This totally makes me feel like an old grandma. What can you do?


Friday: tacos

Saturday: lunch--sloppy joes, cucumbers in vinegar; supper--out!

Sunday: minestrone soup (beans, zuchinni, squash, green beans, collards, basil)

Monday: shrimp coktel (it's our anniversary)

Tuesday: meatloaf, new potatoes, squash casserole, green beans

Wednesday: take-out (it's my birthday)

Thursday: macaroni and cheese, greens, cornbread, cucumbers in vinegar

Friday: grilled chicken thighs, whatever pretty veggies are in our garden, new potatoes


As always, orgjunkie.com has sooooo many menu plans to be inspired from. Check it out!

2 comments:

Cara said...

The grean beans look great! Doesn't it feel great growing things from scratch?

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

Great family friendly menu! Gotta love this time of year when you can grab food right out of the garden!