Monday, June 22, 2009

Saturday Date Night

We had a good time Saturday night, enjoying good conversation, admiring our backyard, and listening to music. No fancy theme this week, but fun nonetheless.

The drink of the week, however, was exceptional! Mike isn't a huge fan of really sweet drinks. Oh, he drinks them to make me happy, but his drink of choice is usually plain seltzer. Sometimes to kick it up, he'll add lime juice. Woohoo!

So, when I found this drink in a recent book from the library, I knew it'd be a hit. He loved it, and surprisingly, I really did, too. It is a bit of a pain to make, and it has to be made one at a time, so definitely a date night sort of drink. But a nice change of pace and a fun way to celebrate the beginning of cucumber season.

Cucumber Cooler
3 slices cucumber (I used seedless ones)
one 1 1/2 inch piece chili pepper (I used jalapeno)
1 sprig fresh cilantro
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz simple syrup
seltzer
Muddle 2 slices of the cucumber, the chili piece, and the cilantro in a large glass. Add ice to the glass, then the lime juice and simple syrup. Shake vigorously. Strain into serving glass (over ice), top with seltzer, stir gently, garnish with remaining cucumber slice, and serve.

1 comment:

tammy said...

Hmm...now that's a different kind of drink. Sounds yummy, too. Last night I had leftover watermelon, so I made some watermelon lemonade. Thought of you since you've been making different drinks on date night!LOL