Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Publix Bargain Meal June 25-July1


Bargain Meal of the Week


This week, Publix has pork spareribs on sale. Only thing is, I don't eat ribs. Oh, it's not that I don't like them. I've had them a handful of times. They taste good. It's just that ribs are so much darn trouble. So much work, so little meat. Not my style. So, if you want to take advantage of the sparerib sale, this recipe looks good. I won't be making it in my house, but I'm sure they'll be tasty. LOL





But...





Asparagus is also on sale $1.99 per pound. And that's a sale that I can wrap my head around. We love asparagus. Adore it. Eat it as often as possible in the spring. It's so good. So tasty. Anyway...

This soup is one of my favorites. My grandmother could whip up some cream soups. Because of a newspaper article in my childhood, we always refer to Mimi as "the kitchen magician". So, here's the magician's soup. And, as a disclaimer... My husband is a big 300 pound dude. He eats this soup, likes it in fact, but it's not a big, hearty, "I've been working outside all day, and I'm starving", sort of meal. It's more of a "we ate an enormous Mexican lunch out, and I need a little something for supper" meal for him. Just so you know.

Cream of asparagus soup, Mimi style

1 pound asparagus--on sale--$1.99
chicken bouillon cube
water
2 T butter--$0.15
3 T flour--$0.10
3 cups milk--on sale $2.25/gal--$0.42

Boil the asparagus in enough water to cover, along with the bouillon cube, for about 5 minutes. I usually cut the asparagus into 2 inch segments, and boil all but the tips. Meanwhile, make a roux from the flour and butter. Add the milk, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened. Add in the asparagus. Put this whole shebang in the blender to puree. Add back to the pot, adding enough of the asparagus cooking water as needed to make a soup consistency. Add the asparagus tips, and cook for another 5 minutes, until the tips are tender. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper as needed.

Serve with rolls--on sale $2.39/6--$2.39

Total cost--$5.05

No comments: