Sunday, March 29, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal March 29 - April 4

Photobucket


It's $5 Bargain Meal time. Erin over at $5Dinners does a fabulous job posting meals every single night that come in right around $5 for 4 people. Her blog is such an inspiration to me. I've always loved a good deal and always been excited by new frugal ideas, but this year, those skills have really become even more necessary. We're a one income home, and my sweet husband works in building materials. Um, yeah. That's all I need to say.

This year, we've really experimented with getting our grocery budget as low as possible while still eating well. And, many, many bloggers around the internet have been a big part of keeping me encouraged, letting me know that I'm not alone, and giving me great ideas. There are many that post in the Bargain Meals feature of $5 dinners. Y'all rock!

This week's meal is simple. Grilled chicken thighs, rice, and lima beans. The chicken recipe comes from my "go-to" cookbook from our newlywed days, The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. We've never had a bad meal from it.

Grilled Jalapeno Chicken
chicken--here we'll use chicken thighs--on sale $0.99/lb--8 thighs--$2
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (2 limes)--$0.50
3 jalapeno peppers, sliced--$0.30
3 cloves garlic, chopped--$0.20
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup honey--$0.50
2 tablespoons soy sace--$0.13

Marinate chicken for 1-8 hours. Drain the chicken, then grill until it registers 165 degrees.

For side dishes:
Rice--1 cup--$0.30
Lima beans--frozen--on sale 10/$10--$1

Total cost--$4.93

No comments: