Monday, March 2, 2009

Kroger Bargain Meal of the Week March 1- March 7

Photobucket

It's time for the Bargain Meal of the Week. I love all the ideas found over at $5 Dinners. Great ideas, great women, and you should check it out!

This week, Kroger has the makings for one of my favorites on sale. Pasta Carbonara. It may have become one of my "too often" favorites lately, because the last time it was served, I got some flak from the peanut gallery about me "really liking this dish, huh?" Well, yeah! It's really good. Try it. You'll see. You'll be getting flak from your own peanut gallery soon enough.

1lb linguine pasta--$1
4 eggs--on sale $1.28/dozen--$0.43
1 pound bacon or pancetta--on sale buy one, get one free--approx. $2
1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese--on sale $1.88/8 ounces--$1.50
8-12 cloves of garlic--$0.25
1 large onion--$0.25
1 cup chicken stock--free
1 cup white wine (or substitute another cup of stock)--free for stock
1/2 stick of butter--on sale $2/pound--$0.25
1 handful of parsley (I use dried this time of year)--$0.10
1-2 tablespoons black pepper--pennies

Total cost (if not using wine)--$5.78

I have a Trader Joes nearby, and I often buy their wine for $2.49. Doing so enables me to add wine to lots of dishes for great flavor without a lot of cost. The cost for wine ends up being around 83 cents per cup. Worth it in many dishes, with this carbonara being no exception. If you are going to be near a Trader Joes, pop in for some two buck chuck. Totally worth it.

No comments: